Wimbledon 2018 Preview, Women’s
There are becoming a lot of great storylines in the womens tour and this might be one of the most exciting Wimbledons on the womens side in a couple years. You have a star in Simona Halep becoming a superstar with a Grand Slam title and possibly more on the way, or the young newcomer, Sloane Stephens, looking to become the mainstay of the tour. Then you have the GOAT in Serena still around trying to win more majors still. Should be a good tournament, here is an individual rundown of each of the favorites, contenders, and dark horses.
- Simona Halep – She is looking to add on her French Open title with a win at Wimbledon. She is a tough player on any surface but grass is not her best. If she could win here it would be a huge signal to the rest of the tour that she is the one to beat.
- Sloane Stephens – She was one set away from the French Open title and with the injuries behind her (knock on wood) she has ascended to the top of the game and as with Halep, winning this tournament would show the WTA that she is the one to beat.
- Serena Williams – The Greatest Player of all time (sorry Margaret Court and Steffi Graf) is still playing and looking to reassert herself as the best. After pulling out of the French with an injury it is really hard to know what you are going to get out of Serena at this stage of her career. When she played in the French she looked good enough that she could win it but will her body hold up? I predict a deep run for her/
- Petra Kvitova – Hasn’t been having the best season but the 2 time Wimbledon champion shines on the grass. She is someone that no one wants to play on grass, so watch out.
- Madison Keys – She is hitting a great ball, she had success on clay which is not her best surface and grass suits her game much more. She is looking to win a major after knocking on the door a couple times. She has a good shot here with questions on all of the favorites.
- Garbine Muguruza– Great player, maddeningly inconsistent. She is a fabulous player and when she is on she is fantastic (see her 2 major victories) but she still goes out early way too often. Could definitely win if she makes it to the second week.
- Coco Vandeghwe – I really wanted to put her in the contenders spot but she has not been very impressive lately. While she did make the Semis last year and definitely could this year, she has to get sharp in a hurry. I love her passion and hope she does well, Go COCO!.
- Caroline Wozniaki – The number 2 seed as a dark horse? Yes she beats a lot of players but just has such a tough time against the top players I have a hard time seeing her win the tournament.
- Venus Williams – She comes to play at Wimbledon and if she hits her stride she can win the tournament that she has won 5 times and was the runner up last year.
This will be a great tournament and really liked them adding a week to the grass court season. I am looking for some fireworks from the American ladies and I look forward to eating some Bangers and Mash this fortnight.
- As always check out our well-made ball machines at https://www.matchmatetennis.com/products/ to start your way to make the Wimbledon.