US Open 2018 Preview, Women’s
Man, I am excited about this tournament. It seems like Serena is getting her form back. Sloane and Simona are playing very well and are looking to add another Grand Slam to their trophy cabinet. Or will it be someone breaking through for a first title. This will be a great tournament and I can’t wait to see who is this year’s Cici Bellis or Melanie Oudin as well. Here is the preview of the players that can win the tournament.
- Simona Halep – Now that she has a Major title under her belt she is looking to add more and I think she has the goods to win in Flushing Meadows. She is playing great tennis with a win in Toronto and a runner up in Cincinatti, I feel that she is the favorite to win the title.
- Sloane Stephens – Sloane is maddeningly up and down, but we have seen her play some great tennis and she plays her best in the big moments so she is big contender for this tournament. She loves the NY crowds and if she makes the second week, she will be hard to beat.
- Serena Williams – The best player of all time is still not playing her best but she comes to play in the Majors. She has had some problems like the release of her sisters killer from jail and that hampered her play, but she is going to be the toughest out of this tournament. She has had some tournaments under her belt and she made the finals of Wimbledon and is now looking to be the Champion once again. I wouldn’t bet against her.
- Madison Keys – Has the talent to win and has come close. She made the quarterfinals of the Western and Southern Open and she seems somewhat healthy which has been her bugaboo. Hopefully, she can make a run here.
- Garbine Muguruza– Great player, but does not seem to be playing her best at the moment. She has been injured and has not been able to really play in the hard court season.
- Petra Kvitova – She has been playing pretty well and she can be unbeatable on a given day and she made the Semis of the Western and Southern Open. Her serve keeps her in any match and can easily make a run and win this tournament.
- Angelique Kerber – The Wimbledon champion will have her work cut out for her to make it two majors in a row. She has not played real well on hard courts with early exits in both Toronto and Cincinatti, combining to win only one match in both tournaments.
- Coco Vandeghwe – I wrote this for the preview for Wimbledon and it describes the US open pretty well too. “I really wanted to put her in the contenders spot but she has not been very impressive lately. While she did make the Semis last year and definitely could this year, she has to get sharp in a hurry. I love her passion and hope she does well, Go COCO!” Well … Go COCO!
- Caroline Wozniaki – Caroline is so good but just can’t get over the hump. I don’t think she can beat the best players in the second week that she needs to. She can beat one or two but just can beat all of them to get the title. I hope I am wrong about that and we get to see her hold the trophy.
- Venus Williams – It is really hard to count out a Williams but I just don’t think Venus has what it takes over the course of 2 weeks to win this tournament anymore.
Look out for an outstanding tournament the next two weeks. There are so many players that could win it. As well as there is always somebody who makes an unexpected run that captures our attention and I am excited to see who it is. I think this tournament will belong to Serena and her comeback tour will be in full force.
- As always check out our well-made ball machines at https://www.matchmatetennis.com/products/ to start your way to make the Wimbledon.