Wimbledon 2018 Preview, Men’s
Wimbledon is a strange tournament in that grass is the most different surface of the majors and it has the shortest season buildup coming into the tournament. This can lead to some upsets early, but the people with experience on the surface usually do well. To me this points to another Federer Title, but lets look at the players that might be able to win it, starting with the Favorites
- Roger Federer – Roger reconizes that he can get an edge by preparing on grass while everyone else plays on clay (also he may know that when Nadal is healthy, no one has a chance against him in Paris). He is a great grass court player and while his best days may be behind him, he is still the favorite to win another Wimbledon this year.
- Rafael Nadal – Fresh off of his French Open title, Rafa looks to try to win Wimbledon as well. He is playing great tennis and still is coming to play in the biggest tournaments. He looks to be all the way back from the injuries that have kept him out last year and if that is true watch out. If he makes the final it would be hard to bet against him.
- Andy Murray – He gets on the Favorites list just because he is a favorite of this tournament and it is great to see him back on the court. However, I do not see him winning this tournament and if he wins 2 rounds that will be great progress for him.
- Novak Djokovic – Another member of the Big Four that has fallen on hard times. He is farther back in his comeback than Murray and making the final of Queens he is showing promise. He seems like he is getting closer and closer to his championship form, and this just might be the tournament that he completes his comeback.
- Marin Cilic – He made the final in Wimbledon last year and beat the Joker in the final at Queens this year. He might be ready to finally be a dominant force and win this tournament.
- Alexander Zverev – I don’t think he is quite ready to win this tournament yet but he is playing very well right now. He is doing great in the Masters 1000’s tournaments now he just needs to put a Major Semi or Final on his resume and he will be ready to take the next step. However, he could surprise and put it all together now and win.
- Dominic Theim – Can the French Open runner up compete for the grass court title? No, but he can win a couple rounds, he is just not the same player on grass as he is on clay.
- Kei Nishakori – Good all around player, but not extensive grass court success. He can be a force if he gets the right draw
- Karen Khachanov – He is playing excellent tennis and seems to be hanging around in tournaments and I could see him making a run.
- Marco Cechinatto – The surprising French Open semifinalist is playing very well, he is in the Quarters of Eastbourne and may surprise again.
- Americans – Can any American win Wimbledon this year? No. However, Sam Querrey made the Semis last year and there are some Americans playing pretty well. If Sam or another American makes the Semis again I would be stunned but they have a better chance of doing well here than they did in Paris
I believe that Roger will win another Wimbledon and extend his record of most majors won, although it will be tougher than Nadal’s romp through Paris. It should be fun and I look forward to eating strawberries and cream for 2 weeks.
- As always check out our well-made ball machines at https://www.matchmatetennis.com/products/ to start your way to make the Wimbledon.